Nom hoa chuoi
Nộm hoa chuối is a traditional salad originating from Vietnam. It's often made with a combination of banana blossoms, bean sprouts, white vinegar, sesame seeds, green papaya, carrots, coriander, sugar, salt, dried shrimp, roasted peanuts, and lime juice.
The salad is prepared in many versions throughout the country, so there's no fixed recipe, but pork or chicken are often added to the mix as well. The ingredients are simply mixed together, tossed, and dressed, and the salad is then served on a platter or a thick banana leaf.
It can also be additionally garnished with fried shallots, sliced chili peppers, and even more roasted peanuts on top, if desired.
Why do people like Nom hoa chuoi
It is used to a rustic dish that now turns to be a specialty in Vietnam cuisine. In the south, it is called “gỏi hoa chuối”. It is such a lifetime experience being exposed to its explosion of different flavors and amazing texture contrasts. The cooking begins with the tough, outer layers of the banana blossom peeled off and discarded. Banana blossom is crunchy with subtle, slightly floral fragrance. Next, slice it into fine julienne strips; soak it into large bowl of cold water and white vinegar or lemon juice to prevent it from browning. Then sliced boiled pig ears or boiled shredded chicken breast is prepared and let it cool.
Vietnamese food with authentic tastes and flavours
If you’re looking for real tasting Vietnamese food in Singapore, then you’ve got to give our Rice Noodle Salad a go! With no MSG, less oil, salt and sugar, indulge in a meal that makes your smile while keeping you healthy!
Ingredients that go into Nom hoa chuoi
- 200 g banana blossom
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 200 g pork
- 200 g shrimp
- fried shallot
- roasted peanut
- 2 pc lime
- 2 pc chilli
- 4 cloves garlic
- 10 g shallot
- 100 g carrot
- 1/2 cup mint
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
How to cook Nom hoa chuoi
- Wash and drain banana blossom. Detach the outer layers and remove the cluster of florets. Stack the layers and roll up, then very finely slice. Soak in a large bowl of water to prevent discoloring.
- Thinly slice pork. Peel and devein shrimp, cut lengthwise in half.
- In a mortar and pestle, crush garlic, chilli with sugar, add 3 tbsp fish sauce, juice from 1 lime, adjust as desired.
- Season pork and shrimp separately with some minced shallot, stock power, fish sauce and pepper. Mix well.
- Fry the shallot in peanut oil until light brown and crispy, stir fry pork for 3 minutes or until the meat is cooked, make some space in the center and then add shrimp in and toss to well over high heat.
- In a big bowl, place banana blossom, shredded carrots, pork, shrimp and chopped mint. Drizzle some sauce and toss to mix well. Transfer to a plate and garnish with some crushed peanut & fried shallot. You can serve with come prawn crackers if desired.
Vietnamese food delivery for corporate lunches
Qwang’s Rice Noodle Salad bowls are great for corporate lunches or group meals at the office. Coupled with our chilled Vietnamese coffee and you’ve got yourself a complete “happy” meal for everyone!
What can Nom hoa chuoi be served together with
Add more roasted peanut and basil leaves on top. As I told you above, you can use it with fried shrimp crackers instead of steamed rice. They will bring the different delicious ways in your mouth.
Other popular Vietnamese food
Besides Nom hoa chuoi, there are other vietnamese food dishes that are highly popular in Singapore and around the world. Below is a list of some of the most mentioned ones:
Pho, Cha Ca, Banh Xeo, Cao Lau, Rau Muong, Nem Ran Cha Gio, Goi Cuon, Bun Bo Hue, Banh Khot, Ga Tan, Nom Hoa Chuoi, Hoa Qua Dam, Pho Cuon, Ga Nuong, Pho Xao, Ca Phe Trung, Bo La Lot, Xoi, Banh Cuon, Ca Tim Kho To, Bot Chien, Bun Dau Mam Tom, Banh Goi, Com Suon Nuong, Chao, Bo Luc Lac, Hat De Nong, Banh Uot thit nuong, Bun Cha, Banh Mi, Lau, Banh Bao, Com rang, Bo Bit Tet, Com Chay, Che, My Xao Bo, Dau Phu Sot Ca Chua, Canh Bun
Visit Qwang for real Vietnamese food you’ll love
Come on down for a quick dine-in or takeaway, and experience the taste that our customers keep coming back more for!